Sunday, December 18, 2011

Spectacular Spider-Man #89 - Black Cat's Powers

Unfortunately, I wasn't around for the creation of many of my favorite super heroes, which means that I have an endless pile of back issues constantly awaiting my reading attention.  So, recently I've been reading a lot of Marvel circa early 1980's which brings us to today's reading of Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-Man #89, an instant classic portraying just how Black Cat gained her "super powers".


It's funny to me because I know exactly how Black Cat got her powers, even though I'd never read this issue before and do you know why?  The Spider-Man cartoons from the '90's!  I loved that cartoon and I've seen every episode many times over and the story arch of when Kingpins gives Black Cat her powers is one of the more memorable arcs.  But really only the fact that the Kingpin is the one that gives her those powers is actually the same!  In the comic the Black Cat seeks out her powers in order to be able to fight side by side with her love Spider-Man but in the cartoon they are forced upon her as an experiment to recreate the super soldier serum that created Captain America.  

Which is my favorite version?  While most geeks would insist the comic version is the ruler of all, I actually like both of these versions of the story equally.  Of course the cartoon version wouldn't work in the comic continuity but it doesn't have to, which makes it great standing all on it's own!  You can read some more about the cartoon on the Black Cat Wiki.

Fully planning on re-watching these Spider-man episodes,
~Steve

No comments:

One Stop Geek Shop Updates