Thursday, December 1, 2011

Reading - Decision Points - Did you know Barbara Bush is Funny?

So, Decision Points, the memoirs of George W. Bush our forty third President, has been on the shelf for a while  and I'm finally getting around to reading it.  I have to be honest and tell you that I didn't really have high hopes for it but I thought it was important to read since he was the President of the United States for just under 1/3 of my life time.  I have been pleasantly surprised to find out that the book is not only well written but funny and entertaining too.

So far my favorite characteristic of the book is that it humanizes George W. Bush and the rest of the Bush family.  I think they've done a great job taking these seemingly untouchable political gods and telling stories about them that bring them back down to earth and makes them relatable, which really draws you in.

I have laughed out loud quite a few times just within the first hundred pages but I wanted to share one in particular that just cracked me up.  President Bush's mother Barbara Bush is known to be kind and classy and many other things but did you know that Barbara Bush is funny?

Check out this excerpt:

(George W. Bush was running in the Houston marathon on Jan. 24, 1993)


...my family was gathered on the curb.  I had a little extra spring in my step for the gallery.  Dad encouraged me in his typical way.  "That's my boy!" he yelled.  Mother had a different approach.  She shouted, "Keep moving, George!  There are some fat people ahead of you!"


HAHA isn't that hilarious!  I mean everybody makes fun of fat people but Barbara Bush?  Now I like her even more!

The way it's going I'll be writing more on this book soon,
~Steve

No comments:

One Stop Geek Shop Updates