Tuesday, November 15, 2016

1991 Marvel Universe II Trading Cards

I was so stoked to see a list from CBR rating the best of the 1991 Marvel Universe Trading card sets!  I absolutely loved to collect these when I was a kid.  Remember this was before the craze of "collectible card games" hit the comic shop scene.  These days when someone says "Magic" in a comic shop you can be pretty sure they're talking about Magic The Gathering card game but in those days either someone was talking about a Dr. Strange comic or a dude making a living pulling a rabbit out of his hat at kids parties.

I remember it like it was yesterday (I know that is a common saying but now that I really think about it, as I recall this memory I'm VERY aware it was over two decades ago): saving my lunch money to buy a card pack next time I get to go to the comic shop, going through the box to try to pick the pack that for sure has the cards you don't already have, opening it to be overwhelmed by the smell of new cardboard and ink, rushing through the cards to see which new ones you got and then meticulously reading every word and carefully adding it to your collection making sure not to bend the corners as you put it in it's designated sleeve. *sigh* Good times.

This particular card set had a special detail added that was new: character power ratings!  Not only was it a cool new feature but these cards became the ultimate resource to consult when arguing with your buddies about who would beat who in a battle to the death between your favorite heroes and villains!  So when some jerk would come along and say Daredevil could totally beat up Spider-Man BAM!  Immediately race to the geek cave to consult the cards!  All these kids with their smart phones and tablets don't know what fun they're missing ;)

Check out the articles Marvel Trading Cards: 15 Greats from Marvel Universe II and Marvel Trading Cards: 15 Greats from Marvel Universe I for more info and pictures!










Am I ashamed of the fact that I own every single card in this series and the 1990 series?  NO!  But if you ask my wife she might give you a different answer.

Going home to flip through the collection and reminisce,
~Steve

No comments:

One Stop Geek Shop Updates